September 1, 2008

Joss sticks













One of the letters I received deals with the issue of holding and placing of joss-stick. I felt that this question is important enough to be posted here so that others in such a situation may also read about what is being discussed. The letter goes like this:



Dear Ps Steven,

I'm also a Christian pastor of a church in Penang. Thank you for your informative book on Chinese ancestor worship. I picked it up from Salvation. It is rare to see books written in English on this subject, and I thank God that you wrote this book.

I have questions regarding the use of joss-sticks (perhaps you have a reason for avoiding this controversial topic altogether):

1. What is the significance of joss-sticks in the Chinese ancestor worship perspective?

2. There are differing views, especially between Catholics and Christians. Some Christians believe that holding joss sticks are acceptable as a sign of respect. Others are strongly against them. What is your view in this?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

God bless you!

Regards,
(name withheld)
Penang


My answers:

Answer to Question 1:
If you look into the practice of holding joss-sticks, it is never in the context of respect but it is always taken as praying to another. There are many other ways of showing respect which will not be misconstrued. But the very act of holding and placing the joss sticks into an urn, is already a form of worship, irregardless of whether you called it respect or not. As a believer, we are not to worship anyone except God. No man or angelic or spiritual being deserves any worship except God. A Christian who holds joss sticks and placing them before their ancestors is already involved in ancestor worship. In the book, on page 68, I quote "God forbids a relationship with the spirits of the dead. See, Deuteronomy 18:9-14. Therefore it is wrong to burn joss sticks and incense to the dead..."

Answer to Question 2:
This answer applies to Catholics and Christians. You may say that you are only paying your respects, but the whole community that is watching you is observing your worship to your ancestors. In that respect, there must be a clear distinction. My conviction is that a believer cannot be dabbling in ancestor worship which is a demonic and occultic practice. You also cannot say, that what you do in your heart is your own business and not subjected to what others think. Can you go to a mosque and pray to Allah, and say you are showing respect to Jesus in your heart? Of course not. So similarly, there must be a clear breakaway from any other forms of worship as compared to worshiping God only. Light and darkness do not mix. There must be a uncompromising stand for a Christian to take the sides of Jesus Christ, and not be fence sitters.

By the way, the word "joss" is derived from the Latin deus (god)...Wikipedia

3 comments:

  1. Dear Pastor Steven Wong,

    I agree with your views. But after some thoughts, I remembered the last funeral of my mother in law, I obliged by one joss stick with " I am not praying, but pay respect only ..." in my heart. I did this to my passed away father too before.
    I felt guilty after and I recalled the spiritual struggles during the last 20 years as a so called convert Christian. Among these years as convert, I never be able to hold any joss stick except those traditional function, unwillingly though.
    I worship idols at teenage. And I somehow felt the evils never give up, even in my dreams.
    The word is true and the very first commandment forbids.
    Glory to His Words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pastor Steven Wong,
    I found your blog very useful especially since I have very little knowledge about Chinese culture. Born as an Indonesian Chinese, I never get involved in the practice of ancestor worship because my parents are believers. I need to learn more about the biblical views regarding ancestor worship and plan to share it with a friend who claims himself as a believer but still wants to perform the rituals as a way to pay respect for his ancestors. therefore I need your book. My question is, where can I buy the book in Indonesia? Is it available on the Christian stores here? I have some troubles with online purchasing. Thank you so much before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi pastor,

    Can I know where can i buy your book please?

    ReplyDelete